Bluebell Wood Warrenpoint Countdown 2019
UPDATE: Virtual Bluebell Wood, Warrenpoint Below 2020! (Stay at Home!)
Bluebell Wood, Warrenpoint 2018!
The Bluebells are in bloom in April 2018!
Warrenpoint is surely one of the best places in Northern Ireland to enjoy the beauty of the Bluebell.
The Bluebells arrive almost overnight like a spring blue carpet on the forest floor.
The heavenly blue is nature’s way of letting us know spring has arrived!
What month do Bluebells flower?
Bluebells will flower depending on how mild our winter is. A cold winter can mean that the Bluebells will come into bloom late.
We certainly had a cold winter in Ireland in 2018 with the arrival of the Beast From the East to our shores.
The bluebell is a bulbous herb that spends most of it’s life underground emerging around this time of year.
Each flower has six petals with it’s up turned tip revealing all it’s beauty.
As you will see if you take a visit to the Bluebell Wood in Warrenpoint, there must be millions of flowers all seeking out the warm rays of the sun. As you will read below, they have the wood floor to themselves and have no woodland competition.
5 Amazing Bluebell Facts!
- Half of the world’s population of Bluebells grow in the UK and Ireland!
- It takes the Bluebell 5 YEARS!!! to grow from a seed to the glorious blue bulb we all get to enjoy!
- Bees just love the Bluebell as much as we do (so be careful not to trample on them both)
- Our ancestors would have used the Bluebell to make glue!
- Scientists are investigating the healing power of the Bluebell to cure diseases
How long do the Bluebells bloom?
Bluebells flower before all other plants in the woods. They have no pollinator competition and thus grow in their abundance.
Check out our video from 2017!